as always, my disclaimer is that i'm no cook, and usually i don't even like to cook something that has more than 5 steps (hence my super easy cookie bites "recipe," remember?). but cooking is always more fun when you get to use up ingredients you need to get rid of, and it's even better at a brunch with great friends. plus, breakfast is my favorite weekend meal of the day!
a thin-sliced potato, if you want potato for the crust
2-3 cups shredded cheese
any other ingredient you want! we used bacon, chives, and heavy cream, but you could make it super healthy and use spinach, peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, sweet potatoes...you get the picture. take a gander at your fridge and add whatever you've got!
- pre-bake the potato slices if you're using them (350 for about 10-15 mins)
- whisk the eggs in a bowl with heavy cream (or water, or skim milk, for a healthier option). add some cheese.
- place the baked potato slices in the bottom of the skillet and put the skillet over the stove.
- add some of your ingredients, and then pour in the whisked eggs.
- add some more cheese, and the rest of your ingredients.
- leave the skillet over the stove for about 5 minutes, and then bake at 350 for 15 minutes. (confession: i'm not sure why we put it over the stove and then baked it. so feel free to experiment and just bake it!)
- it's done when the mixture is firm--if the eggs are still runny, pop it back in the oven.
what's your favorite breakfast food?